Saturday, December 3, 2011

Baby Steps

I just got done watching one of my favorite movies,  "What About Bob?"  Bill Murray and Richard Dreyfus are hilarious together.  It's one of those movies that gets funnier every time you watch it.  Dr. Marvin's (Richard Dreyfus's character) best-selling  book is titled, "Baby Steps."  He says that instead of looking at the tasks for the day, look at the immediate task in front of you.  i.e. getting out of the room.  Bill Murray gets up and baby steps out of the room.  Why the movie review?  How does this relate to triathlon?  I've used "Baby Steps" for the last few years to get through training.
When I get my training outline for the month I like to look at how the next four weeks will play out.  When looking at the volume and hours spent training it can be overwhelming.  I usually spend 5 minutes looking at the whole month and then don't look at it again.  Rather that focus on the month or even week I try to focus on what I need to do to get through the day.  More specifically, I focus on getting through the individual workout.  It makes the task of preparing for an IM much easier.  The thought of spending hundreds of miles on the bike or running can be downright disheartening.  I try to hit each workout on the money and then get ready for next one.
Focus on today.  Understand what needs to be done to get through the day and then get it done.  Don't look down the road.  That big ride or long run will get here.  Each workout has it's purpose.  Make sure you accomplish your goal for the day.  Baby Steps!  It will make training a little bit easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment